Thursday, October 14, 2010

Peripherals: Cover it up!

The first peripheral that you will need to get is the iPad cover.  I don't think they are prone to scratching  but they sure do pick up smudges and fingerprints.  It was not really easy to shove things into my briefcase without wondering whether any of my other junk was going to "hurt" the pristine new shiny machine.

After some prolonged consideration, I decided to go with Marware Eco-Vue case (http://www.marware.com/products/iPad/Eco-Vue-for-iPad)

This case is really nice because it provides a snug fit while still allowing you to slide the ipad in and out easily if you need to (dock users, cleaning, etc.).  It has a nice and soft interiror that provides access to all the ports and buttons.  It also has a very smooth profile making it look like an elegant leather folio.

On the inside cover there is a strap with elastic sides where you can slide your hand once the cover is folded over and that allows you to hold the ipad in one hand (ideal for reading while holding on to the railing in a subway car).  It also has a flip that let's the cover work as a stand for typing and watching landscape formatted items.

I especially liked the elastic band that holds the cover shut.  You don't really have to use it to make the case work but it provides added secuirty when you have a full briefcase.  The faux-leather seems very durable and chic. 

What I started to dislike about this case after a while is the bulk.  It adds significantly to the thickness and the weight of the ipad.  I needed something thinner to shove into my purse and carry to class.  I also had a hard time keeping the dock-to-VGA cable plugged in because at times, the cover would pull on it on one side or the other, depending on where the ipad/cable was located. 

As a result, I searched for a slimmer option for a long while and decided to go with the original apple case.  Despite the criticism found on other sites, I have been rather please with it thus far, especially since no one can beat the slimness of this case.  It is hands-down the thinnest thing on the market.

No comments:

Post a Comment